Sunday, May 13, 2018

R4 Special Needs Retreat

According to 2007 US Census data, approximately 15% of individuals have some sort of special needs. Our family is touched by Timothy's autism as well as Samuel's health issues. While I see my children as so much more than just their disability or diagnosis, there are days where life is hard. In fact, some days, life is very hard.

That's where our support group comes in. We are so thankful to have family and friends nearby who will love us and help with the kids and household needs when it gets hard. However, sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes you just need someone else who lives the same struggle day in and day out.

Enter R4 Retreat Center. Based out of DFW, this non-profit's goal is to empower and encourage families impacted by special needs. Yesterday, they had their "Summer's Coming Mini Retreat." Words can't even describe what an amazing time we had!

The retreat was held at Sabine Creek Ranch. Even though this place is only half an hour drive from our house, it felt like we were in the deep countryside in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing! We got to see horses, cows, and rabbits. The kids liked the basketball, blob, horseshoes, tetherball, campfire, and wide open spaces.

I want to talk for a moment about "finding your tribe." I work from home, so I sometimes go days without seeing a human being outside of my immediate family. I long for companionship. I yearn for social interaction. It's easy to just feel....alone.

But, with my unique family, I always worry. Are they judging my parenting? Will my kids say something inappropriate? Will there be a meltdown? Will we fit in? Do they even want us here? 


But yesterday was such an amazing, abundant blessing in so many ways! Because I'll tell you this...I found my people. 

All the special-needs children were assigned a buddy. Now, individuals from all over the DFW area came for this retreat (both to volunteer and to be campers). But Timothy's assigned buddy happens to live one street over from us...and we had never met! She spent the entire day helping Timothy and pouring herself into him, and he said it was one of the best days of his life.

The adults in the group got kid-free time to talk, to ask questions, connect, and commiserate. Guys, it made my soul so happy. To hear other parents who also struggle....to hear I'm not the only mom who sometimes cries in the closet...to be in a safe space free of judgment. I left with phone numbers of new friends and a renewed sense of purpose and belonging.
There were so many awesome experiences....like watching my tiny five year old make it to the top of the zipline ladder and jump without hesitation or fear.


And watching my children cheer each other on as they conquered the climbing wall.


And playing (and losing) Connect 4.

It's so easy for us to want to stay home. It's comfortable. Not much can go wrong. It's air-conditioned and safe. No one will judge us. No one will see our meltdowns. Timothy's in his room watching doctor shows. Samuel's on the computer. Hannah's in her room doing art. I can browse the internet and the Hubs can watch Sci-Fi shows. But these times that we leave our house, meet new people, take on challenges and try new things...that's when we're truly living.

My favorite part of the entire event was the end-of-day talent show. Now, individuals with varying needs were present. Some were verbal. Some weren't. Some were toilet trained. Some weren't. But each child who wanted to got up on stage and did a "talent." A few kids sang. One child went on the stage and demonstrated a cartwheel. Another just log rolled from one end of the stage to another. One non-verbal little boy made a few noises into the microphone that somewhat resembled language. And after each child was done, there was thunderous applause. The children beamed. They were the stars, and they were loved and accepted. The crowd went wild with every single act. I still get goosebumps just thinking about that evening. I wouldn't trade that talent show for a Celine Dion or New Kids on the Block concert...no, that was the perfect show last night....exactly what I needed.

As I celebrate Mother's Day today, I thank God for these 3 children who were hand-picked especially for me. I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Thank you, R4 Retreat Center, for the amazing blessing you were to our family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

R4 Special Needs Retreat

According to 2007 US Census data , approximately 15% of individuals have some sort of special needs. Our family is touched by Timothy's ...